Saturday, August 2, 2008

54th Retreat is under way!

It's Saturday afternoon right now, about 2:30 PM. I'm sitting in the sound booth at Shippensburg University awaiting the next service. This weekend has been very busy and challenging so far, but certainly not without its rewards.

One of the rewarding things is that I've gotten to see a lot of familiar faces that I only see at the retreats. Over 28 years, you meet a few people. A lot of these guys got old, including me.

Last night's speaker was great. He was very dynamic and kept everyone interested. The Kilikpo's did an awesome job, as usual. Overall, I'm glad I made the time to come here this year.

Right now, a group is setting up a "Civil War Church Service" that will kick off in about an hour. I"m not sure what to expect but it seems quite interesting. It would be easy to make fun of these folks, dressed in their period costumes, but I prefer to keep an open mind and approach the service prayerfully. I hope they good a good turnout, as it's being held during the recreation time.

Tonight we will celebrate Communion. It's always a very moving experience at the retreat. What's neat, to me, is that we have around 200 men with different cultural and ethnic backgrounds that all share the same faith in Jesus Christ. This diverse group truly represents what Communion is all about - community - coming together as one. Praise God for his leading!

If you're reading this blog during August 1 - 3 and you are not at the retreat, please know that we miss you and would LOVE for you to come back next year. First Friday in August is the date.
Registration materials will be available on the ABMOPAD website - www.abmopad.org - as soon as possible.

The weekend Penn-Del Tips publications are also available on the ABMOPAD website. Simply click on the Penn-Del Tips link from the homepage.

No comments: